Sunday 28 March 2010

Awh shucks

So as you all know, last week was Twestival. Laura and I pulled it off and i'm so super proud of us! It came along at a weird time for me, the day I first heard about it was the day my granny died so my head was inside out and upside down so I didn't think about it. Then I found myself with no 'real' job so figured I had nothing to lose by helping with a bit of PR. Things flipped about again when I was given Lead. It scared me more than anything had scared me before. As I got to thinking about it, I realised how much work was involved in an area that I had no experience in whatsoever- I mean, i'm the girl who loves bands, band boys, music and i've even dated a few band boys. But soundchecks, equipment, load in, bookings...that was all completely new to me. The day I met Laura, I had a bit of a flap. Twestival was two weeks away and there was no venue. There were no bands. Right until then, there was just me. Trying to not freak out when I had to stay in mums house alone for a week, running errands, trying to have even half a social life - I spent my evenings on the sofa with Maisie, my cuddly cat (cuddly by nature rather than fat), twittering and blogging about twestival- at that stage I could never have even dreamt about pulling it all together.

When it came to it, there were a few twits who really dug me out of a hole. Laura was literally my right hand woman. We've both probably got RSI from tweeting and texting from mobiles- we spent so long together in Clements I can tell you she prefers her tea in a mug, with a splash of milk. I like a pot, with lots of milk. She's my brownie sharing, life saving queen.

Abi is also a legend. She's the regional co-ordinator for the UK. She got lots of whiney, confused, begging, desperate emails from me, at all times of the day. We did skype calls, pow wow's and she bent over backwards to help us get lots of tickets sold in advance. So thank you Abi!

Leah and Kata were assisted by Karen and Claire from Concern- they let us get on with our thing, checking when pizzas were being delivered, cupcake dramas while they sold raffle tickets and made sure no one snuck in! We had so many sponsors, I'm just gonna link you to the Twestival Blog . Everyone on their was so so helpful and i'm sure our prize winners will be excited at the prospect of their noms, CD's and movie tickets! Our official photographer on the night was the brilliant Nico. He shot some beautiful pics and made me look human (mega kudos to you there good sir- I always look whack in pictures!). Here is his blog with a write up about the night, and here is the link to the photos on his Flikr site.

I can't think of anything else to say, other than- I want a job that allows me to organise events. Or to meet more amazing people. I think if i'd been drinking on Thursday night, every single person in that bar would have got a hug and a kiss from me! I left on a high (in a red van with Joe and Dominic from Seven Summits - thats gonna be my claim to fame when I hear them on't radio ;) ). I've learnt alot from this.
First off- everything is possible. Even if no paying twits had turned up, we had everything else to hand. Seeing one of the guys from Seven Summits walk in with a bass drum I almost died from excitement and adrenaline overload. Then the rest of the band. Then ANOTHER band. And ANOTHER. And the wonderful Nico, the Leah, Kata, Claire, John and Lesley from Slide, Gavin- every time another person showed up I got more and more excited.
Second - The generosity of people shows no bounds. It's more difficult to raise money and support for a charity like Concern, in comparison to something that is more urgent, like the Haiti earthquake appeal but we're expecting our final total for Belfast to be in the region of £500-£600. Not half bad for a nights work.
Third - the Marshmallow Grove cupcakes are officially the way to my heart.
Fourth - A surprising number of foxy boys arrived at Slide. Note to self: make singles wear stickers.
Fifth - If it all goes tits up, i'm robbing a bank and setting up an Events company. I'll even do weddings. If I have to.
Sixth - RAMS' Pocket Radio, Seven Summits and Cutaways are amazing. And Shauna from Silhouette was brilliant. If I get my way, we'll all get a catch up and plan our next joint venture!

I think thats enough now. I'm rambling. Go look at the pics. And listen to the bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment